Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Third Check Out My Cards order

ComC definitely provides a good venue for my tendency towards impulsive and/or eclectic purchasing.  Is this a good or bad thing?  Not sure.  However, I do find a lot of cards for my player and set collections.  I got a few Johnny Damon minor league and rookie cards, a Rollie Fingers card, and some stuff for miscellaneous sets.  Here is a selection of cards from my order:

2008 Topps Allen & Ginter's Ancient Icons: Beowulf on right, Confucius on left.  Sweet.  These two were definitely impulse buys.  I tried to get Gilgamesh; I forget what happened.  Seller wouldn't deal or something.

2002 Leaf Shirt Off My Back, Eric Karros patch, #EK.  Karros was one of my favorite players as a kid.  Yea, mid 90s Dodgers!  I would like to own an Eric Karros signature card, but sellers either won't haggle or they are hard to find.

Nothing special here - just some more Kuo rookies for the collection.

2004 Donruss Elite Extra Edition, #336 Kurt Suzuki rookie auto, #'d 053/473.  One of my favorite players, though I think my girlfriend likes him more.  Can someone explain to me why Suzuki also wrote "#3" too?  Maybe I am being dense.  Shiny.

2006 Bowman Draft Chrome, Charlie Haeger rookie blue refractor, #'d 176/199.  I've wanted this card for a while.  I did not expect to find and buy a blue refractor though.  Right on.  It was fun watching him pitch those few times last season.  Knuckleball!

2007 Sweet Spot Classic, Carney Lansford auto, #'d 155/175.  Ol' Lansford won a World Series with the A's in 1989.  Yes, that one.  I am so afraid of earthquakes recently.  Got to get out of California...

2008 Sweet Spot, Hong Chih Kuo auto, #'d 104/300.  Man, I love Sweet Spot autos.  This card is a consolation prize because I lost an auction for a red ink version of this card on eBay.  Siq.

Bizarre story.  Maybe I heard wrong.  Anyway, I was at this gyro/kebab place to grab lunch today, waiting around for my food to be ready.  A man and a woman come into the shop and the guy behind the counter takes the man's order.  Guy behind the counter then asks the woman, "What'll you be having, ma'am?"  The man who just ordered suddenly interjects and says, "Nothing for her.  She's fat."  I must have misheard, but the shopkeep seemed to miss a beat as well.  WTF?

3 comments:

  1. I'd been picking up the Ancient Icons on COMC as well. Some of them were priced very well, others... not so much.

    I take it you are building the set?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Kurt signed that card, he was fresh from playing with Cal State Fullerton. Kurt wore #3 for the Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beardy: Haven't decided whether I'll build the entire set or not. I thought they were cool-looking and decided to pick up the ones I liked. How's your set going?

    Roy: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete