The only hobby boxes I've purchased lately include 2010 Finest (from my card shop buddy, and I actually haven't been back there in weeks to hang out), Marvel Masterpieces, Marvel 70th Anniversary, 2009 Tristar Obak, and 2007 SP Rookie Edition. Still waiting for my packages to come though (all of the above minus Finest, of course).
Anyway, a certain feeling has been in the back of my mind of late - one that has been expressed by my fellow bloggers and has only became a coherent, conscious thought to me just now - that all of the 2010 baseball releases so far have been quite garbage, to varying degrees. Taking a step back, this sentiment should be readily apparent to many collectors. I find myself wanting to buy more 2010 Finest just to make a set and have something hobby-related to do. Yet, I realize that Finest only made a good first impression; when I looked at the cards again last night they seemed so dreary and boring. I was duped by the shiny, glitz and glam of what is really a pedestrian release. I feel like this is going to be a recurring theme in the future, and it is a bit daunting. I like to think that I'm not the only who hypes themselves up for new card releases (and thus, probable disappointment). Also, I'd like to think that we Hobbyists should not have to settle for pedestrian products because of the sole fact that they are the only releases available to us. I have also been disillusioned a bit by Upper Deck, and my discontent will probably get worse. However, it's an activity that is very difficult to avoid. After all, collecting cards is perfectly representative of some facets of simple human nature. People like to hoard and gather things. People like to keep things organized and ordered. People like shopping... and so on. Are we just going to have to "settle" for future baseball card releases? How do you alleviate the need to collect current sets if they stink? I don't like that I've hit a sort of "wall" less than a year into collecting.
Personally, I find it hard to resist buying hobby boxes. I have, however, spent comparatively less on boxes in the past two months than ever before. Even though I'm working on completing some insert sets for 2010 Topps and buying a bunch of singles, I am still spending less and getting more of the cards I actually want (with less filler). I am also in the process of selling a bunch of stuff on CheckOutMyCards.com ($84.75 in sales to date). Essentially, I've been trying to streamline my collection and eliminate clutter. Not sure what I'll do with my extra base cards, inserts, and toploaders though. If you're interested in trading for any 2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition, 2006 Topps 52 Rookies, 2009 American Heritage, 2010 Topps, 2010 UD or 2009 T206, as well as toploaders, screwdowns, and magnetic holders of all shapes and sizes, let me know. I don't want much or even equal in return to take some extra stuff off my hands. Otherwise, I'm just going give most or all of it to my card shop friend.
Peace.
Best baseball play: here.
Holy crap: here.
No comments:
Post a Comment