Monday, April 26, 2010

Marvel 70th Anniversary box break

I busted two boxes of this stuff today, but this post will only contain contents from the first one.  Overall, my initial reaction to Marvel 70th Anniversary was good - it is an above-average (though straddling average) release.  You get one full-color sketch card per hobby box, of course, and they look great!  There's a 72-card base set; base cards come in regular cardboard and foil looking, thicker stock variations.  The base card fronts depict comic book covers/scenes from throughout Marvel's history, going in chronological order.  The years in question are depicted prominently on the base card backs.  Insert sets consist of full-color front-and-back Marvel Tribute Cards, die-cut Character Cards, Sticker Cards, and Plastic Cards.  I thought the product could have used a few more insert sets, but the existing ones look pretty good.  It's not that I enjoy tons of inserts (only if they are actually good), but I feel like some comic book sets and similar releases can benefit from well-designed and thoughtful insert sets to chase and collect.  My biggest complaint is that I got way too many doubles of insert cards over two boxes - keeping in mind that I got both boxes from different online retailers and they were numbered about 3000 apart.  Note that the Marvel Tribute Cards (depicting Captain America, Sub-Mariner, and [original] Human Torch) also come in foil variations... and I got doubles of Human Torch.  Boo

My first box was #'d 4532 of 8000.

Two foil cards.  On the left is a base card variation, so you can see what the base looks like.  On the right is a foil Marvel Tribute insert card of Human Torch.

Vision, sketch card.  Full color and looks super nice!  Vision's not my favorite, but it's a cool card nevertheless.

It's Spidey!  Plastic Card insert.  These are sweet.  Out of all the insert sets this is one (of two) of my favorites.

What the... stickers!  I was not expecting stickers.  From left to right: Thor, Sub-Mariner, and Human Torch.  Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to collect stickers.  Why do kids like stickers so much?  I'm still not sure after all these years.

Two Character Cards.  Left: Hulk.  Right: Silver Surfer.  This is quite possibly the lamest of the inserts in Marvel 70th.  It's just rather boring and unnecessary.  Also, on the Rittenhouse website, you can trade in for an unreleased die-cut card of Luke Cage from this set.

These are my other favorite inserts.  It's the Marvel Tribute set.  It is only 9 cards and one should be able to finish it with doubles from one box alone.  The set has three cards each of Captain America, Sub-Mariner, and Human Torch.  Not only is the art awesome, but on the backs of the cards you will find...

A mural of sorts.  This was a nice, creative touch and it looks super sick in a 9 pocket binder page.  Very epic.

Marvel 70th Anniversary by Rittenhouse gets a solid B/B- from me.  Almost forgot... one box should contain an entire base card set plus extras.

The Dodgers-Mets game today got postponed due to rain.  Poop.  Was looking forward to watching it.  Oh shite, there's basketball on TV.  Forgot about that too.  Go Suns!

No comments:

Post a Comment