Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stargate Universe 4 box break

I love Stargate Universe!  I've watched the entire first season, thanks to the magic of Netflix!  We cancelled our cable though, because Comcast is expensive and douche-y, so I can't keep up with the new episodes (unfortunately the show is not up for renewal after this current, second and last season).  I never actually watched any of the other Stargate properties and only have a rudimentary knowledge of its mythology.  However, SGU does a good job of standing on its own - with slick production, interesting plots, and good acting and action.  It's just great sci-fi.

Anyway, I got a sweet deal on some Rittenhouse SGU boxes on eBay.  I am pretty sure I have four complete sets worth of cards, though I've only actually organized and built two.  If anyone is interested in making a set or two, I am definitely willing to trade (doesn't need to be equal in value - I'm not greedy) for the remaining base cards... plus a few inserts.

You might have noticed that I like to take photographs of my cards using a Beckett mag with Derek Jeter on the cover.  I think Beckett is stupid, but I like Jeter - so Jeter wins.  Here's what I got:

The boxes are numbered out of 3,000.

Stargate Universe
You get 3 autographs and 2 costume cards in each hobby box.  Character names from top-left, clockwise (actor names displayed): Brody, Dr. Franklin, Sgt. Greer (aggro), and Franklin again.

Stargate Universe
From top-left clockwise again, character names: Dr. Park (resident promiscuous lady), the return of Park, Lt. Scott, and farm boy Sgt. Riley (he reminds me of Jack McBrayer as Kenneth on 30 Rock).

Stargate Universe
From top-left, clockwise: Sharon, Sharon's twin, Andrea Palmer (who didn't last very long... spoilers), and Emily Young.  Some of you may know Reiko Aylesworth from her role as Michelle Dessler on 24.  I am a big fan of 24 (and Reiko herself), so it was awesome to pull her autos.  Reiko's character, Sharon - along with her onscreen wife Camile Wray, played by Ming Na - are the first openly gay characters in the Stargate universe.

Stargate Universe
As I mentioned above, costume cards are two per box.  Here we have two different relics of Christopher McDonald as Senator Armstrong on top.  On bottom are two relics of Elyse Levesque as his daughter Chloe; both cards are technically the same, but with very different looking pieces of fabric.

Stargate Universe
More costume cards.  From top-left, clockwise: Jamil Walker Smith as Ronald Greer, Robert Carlyle (awesome) as Dr. Nicholas Rush, Christopher McDonald again (duplicate which I am going to sell), and David Blue as Eli Wallace (Math Boy!).  Robert Carlyle is one of my favorite actors, which was a factor in my watching SGU in the first place.

I am three cards away from finishing the costume cards set.  I won two bids and am currently waiting on the third card.  Will post those when I get them.  The autograph set is going to be a bit harder to complete, as some of the signatures are very limited.  It is becoming increasingly more difficult to get these boxes at a reasonable price.  Might have to Blowout it.

If you like science fiction, action or space in general, try out Stargate Universe!

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to learn that you are no longer a Comcast subscriber. If there is anything that I can do to convince you to come back, please let me know. I work for Comcast.

    Thanks,

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete